If you’re not yet familiar with Jim Murray and his highly revered Whisky Bible I strongly suggest you grab yourself a copy of this annual tasting guide. Each year Mr. Murray sits down with whiskeys from all over the world in search of the best of the best. This year he found it amongst the ranks of Buffalo Trace.
2018 World Whiskey of the Year goes to Colonel E.H. Taylor Four Grain. With a score of 97.5 out of 100, Jim Murray described this liquid gold as “nothing could match the astonishing beauty of its surprisingly delicate weight and complexity combined. It was as if time stood still in the tasting room, I just knew…”
Of course, World Whiskey of the Year isn’t the only accolade Buffalo Trace received in this year’s Whisky Bible…
- Bourbon of the Year – Colonel E.H. Taylor Four Grain
- Best American Whisky No Age Statement (Multiple Barrels) – George T. Stagg 144.1 Proof
- Best American Whisky 9 Years and Under – Buffalo Trace Experimental Collection Organic 6 Grain Whisky
- Best American Whiskey 10 Years and Over (Multiple Barrels) – Colonel E. H. Taylor, Jr. Four Grain
- Rye of the Year – Thomas H. Handy Sazerac 126.2 Proof
- Best Rye, No Age Statement – Thomas H. Handy Sazerac 126.2 Proof
- Best Rye, 11 Years and Over – Sazerac 18 Years Old
As Mark Brown, President and CEO of Buffalo Trace Distillery noted, “To not only be named World Whisky of the Year, but also to win 5 of the 6 American Whisky categories and 2 of the 3 Rye Whisky categories is simply remarkable. It is truly a testament of the skill and dedication of not only our Master Distiller Harlen Wheatley, but to all of our team members at the Trace. We are simply thrilled.”
This isn’t the first time Buffalo Trace has won the World Whisky Category. Previous winners include, Thomas H. Handy Sazerac 128.6 proof in 2013, the Sazerac 18 Year Old Rye Whiskey in 2010, the George T. Stagg Bourbon 129 proof in 2006, and the George T. Stagg Bourbon in both 2005 and 2004.
Congratulations to Buffalo Trace! We can’t wait to see what new and amazing things they have on the horizon!